Client: Fletcher Farr Ayotte
Building Size: 117,000 sf
Project Cost: $37 million
Certifications: LEED Gold
Encompassing three separate buildings constructed between 1883 and 1907 in this National Landmark District, the renovation of the White Stag Block served to reinvigorate Portland’s Old Town/Skidmore area. The mixed-use project included tenant improvements for the University of Oregon’s Schools of Allied Arts and Architecture, Law, Journalism; office, support, and retail spaces.
We provided several creative solutions to meet the owner’s performance goals.
- The stormwater retention tank doubled as rainwater harvesting storage, saving valuable space and funds.
- The basement was excavated for new cooling equipment to avoid expensive seismic upgrades to the roof.
- Varied floor-to-ceiling heights and the discovery of beautiful cast iron pillars inspired unconventional and creative ductwork design.
- A new electrical system was designed for the overloaded neighborhood power grid.
News & Awards
- Honor Award, National Trust for Historic Preservation, 2010
- Grand Award, ACEC Oregon, 2009
- Root Award for Learn, Portland Spaces, 2008
- J. Timothy Anderson Award for Excellence in Historic Rehabilitation, National Housing & Rehabilitation Association, 2008
- Craftsmanship Award, AIA/IIDA Award, 2008